Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

First Trip to the ER

July 2, 2009

About a week ago we had our first trip to the Emergency Room with Liam.  It was a normal evening, we had a great dinner and we were heading to the park.  I left the kitchen to go to the bathroom and Mike was cleaning up from dinner.  While I was in the bathroom I heard a loud bang and shortly thereafter Liam was screaming.  I thought all was well, then I heard Mike say "Oh SHIT!".  I raced into the kitchen to find Liam with a bloody face and Mike telling me that he put his teeth through the skin below his lower lip on a kitchen drawer.  After some tears of my own we decided that he would need stitches.

At this point the big question became where should we go and who would stitch him up?  We decided to go to the children's ER for some conscious sedation.  By the time we got to the er the little guy was not crying anymore and was actively sucking on his pacifier and cuddling his favorite blanket.  After what seemed like a long wait we met the first year resident, after some discussion and letting her know that Mike was a plastic surgeon she sent the attending in :)  After a long talk with the attending we decided that he would sew Liam up with Mike's supervision :)  (ah the joy of medical parents!)

Liam had an IV started for his sedation and it worked like magic, he was in mid cry as the drug took effect.  Once I made sure that he was comfortable I left the room and let the boys get to work.  Here is a picture of their handy work....

It took four stitches to close up the outside and the inside will heal on its own.  Liam was a trooper and the doctors and nurses at the ER were wonderful.  Hopefully we will not be seeing them for a while!

No comments: