Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Liam's Baptism

September 7, 2008

Liam's baptism finally arrives! Mike and I finally decided to have Liam baptized. Since Liam's birth we have been so busy with moving and living day to day that Liam's baptism was a bit delayed. After some pressure from family and a lot of soul searching we decided to baptize Liam Catholic. Mike and I both grew up Catholic but have not attended church or practiced in quite a while. We both felt that whatever religion we raised Liam in we needed to practice it so we made it our mission to find a church that would work for us. That church is Saint Andrew in downtown Grand Rapids. It is a liberal(as liberal as Catholic can get) and diverse church that seems to fit our needs.
Anyhow...the day of Liam's baptism came and I was so excited. I had planned everything out from the gown to the reception. Liam's gown (yup that's right our little boy wore a dress!) was made from the train of my wedding gown. It is simple but beautiful and accented by a blue sash.

I dressed him at my mom's and we then took some traditional photos under the evergreen tree out front. Ever since I can remember we have taken pictures out front...the first one I can think of was my preschool graduation and more recently of me and Annie when we were pregnant. The picture of Mike and Liam is my favorite!


Mike and I then headed to the church...we loaded Liam up in his stroller and walked to Saint John Fisher. SJF is the church/elementary school that I grew up in, it was kind of nostalgic walking that same route that I had a millions times before (we even crossed at Hooker's driveway diagonally to the red brick house just like when we were kids. ). SJF holds many fine memories not only for me but for Mike too since we were married there!
At the church we met family, friends, and Liam's Godparents. It was so great to be surrounded by so much love on his big day!
Mary DeVoto is Liam's Godmother. Mary and I go way back to when I was a scrawny little girl wanting to learn the flute. She taught me flute, piano, and how to be the best babysitter ever. I would spend hours down at their house playing with her oldest daughter Melanie. I took care of all three of her girls and in the process became like a fourth daughter to them. I went on vacations with them and adored them. Over the years Mary and I have stayed close. Mike and I thought that Mary would be a loving role model for Liam. She is strong in her faith and we hope she will pass this on to Liam also.
Jeff Crain is Liam's Godfather. Jeff is Mike's cousin and also a very close friend to both of us. Mike and Jeff grew up together and have many fun and probably not so good stories. Mike and I chose Jeff because he has played such an important role in Mike's childhood. He is a great dad to his two children and always put them first. We know that Jeff will be a loving and caring person for Liam to look up to in the years to come.
The ceremony went well, Liam was an angel. Mary and Jeff took turns holding him and keeping him happy. He did fuss just a bit when they poured the holy water over his head but recovered quickly

By the end of the baptism Liam was worn out and feel asleep for the pics on the altar.
We had the reception at Cooper's Hawk Winery in Orland Park, Illinois. We had a private room and the food was excellent. We had such a great time. Liam snoozed while we ate and then was loved on by just about everyone in the room. I think he had a blast!
I hope that Liam will alway be surrounded by as much love as we experienced today. I know that raising him in the Catholic faith is the right thing to do and hope that Mike and I can rise up to the challenge.

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Congrats! A beautiful baptism. Welcome to the Lord's family Liam!