Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Making Baby Food?




September 8, 2008
Sometimes I look back at things that I have thought or even said and laugh when I actually do them. For example, Amanda J told me how she cried when Addie had her first shots and I think I told her "to get a grip and stop being such a baby", they were only shots right? Little did I know that when Liam would get his shots I would do the same thing! It is the same thing with making baby food. I have heard of crazy people that make their own baby food and I thought boy what a lot of work, but here I am trying to make my own for Liam. I know that the baby food at the store is absolutely fine and Liam would love it too but there is something about fresh produce for him that entices me. I have done some research and decided to give it a try.

My first attempt is with sweet potatoes. They seem like a good option...EASY. I picked out some delicious ones and scrubbed them really good.
I then boiled them until easily pierced with a fork (since this attempt I have read that it might be better to bake them instead).

I then skinned them and threw them in the food processor and used the left over boiled water to thin them out.


I set some aside for Liam and put the rest in ice cube trays to freeze. This way I just have to pull out a little baggie every morning and stick it in the fridge to thaw. Not bad.


So the big taste test will tell the truth about my end product. Liam really likes them :) YEAH!! A success. But then after about half of the serving he starts to gag...not a success? After some trials I discovered that it was too thick and had to thin it out some more and now he eats it like a champ! I can hardly wait to try my next one.

2 comments:

The Slagleys said...

This post cracks me up more than you would believe. I am just remembering some comments about those "crazy people!" I am glad that you are enjoying making your own food and that Liam likes it! He is such a little man!

Mandy said...

Good for you! I tried it too for a bit (then gave in to the convenience of bottled food and now do a combo of fresh and bottled). Butternut squash was a big hit with Luke (who also loved sweet potatoes). Happy baby-food making!